Category: Spinach and Cheese Souffle
Spinach and Cheese Souffle
Ingredients of Spinach and Cheese Souffle
1 container Nonstick Cooking Spray Enough to line pan
1/4 cup Parmesan grated
4 tablespoon Butter (or Margarine) melted
1 small Onion diced
4 tablespoon Flour
1 package Frozen chopped Spinach thawed
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese grated
8 large Egg separated
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
Method of Spinach and Cheese Souffle
A-1) Heat oven to 400
2) Spray inside surfaces of 8 inch x 8 cup souffl dish or other 8 inch by 4 inch or higher bake able pot/casserole, then "flour" with the grated parmesan or other finely grated cheese. (this will give souffl traction to rise. If needed sides can be extended by wrapping either bakers parchment or aluminum foil around pan to increase height. If using foil, treat as the pan sides. Souffl will double in volume!
B) In saucepan, melt butter, add the diced onion, and cook until translucent.
2) Gradually stir in flour.
3) Allow butter-flour mixture to cook for a few minutes.
4) Add the chopped spinach, no need to drain, as water will be part of the liquid additions.
5) Slowly stir in milk and cook until thickened.
6) Reduce heat and stir in grated cheddar cheese.
7) When cheese is melted. Turn off heat and allow to start cooling
8) Add egg yolks one at a time stirring to keep thick, add salt, and pepper to taste. When all yolks are added, start whipping the egg whites, this will allow for more cooling time.
C-1) Add the baking soda to the egg whites and whip until stiff, they should form and hold peaks.
2) Slowly fold stiff egg whites into cheese mixture.
3) Pour mixture into prepared souffl pan.
D) Place on middle rack of oven and turn oven down to 350
1) Bake 30-40 minutes. DO NOT OPEN OVEN for first 25 minutes! 2) Souffl will hold in oven for about 5 minutes, but ideally should be served immediately.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.